Name:
Location: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India

What I say today is what mohammad ali said once , "It is very hard to be humble when you are as great as me". Lest people may be mistaken I am not into boxing. and therefore I resist from praising myself :)

Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Game must go on

Yesterday my status message was 1/5. Lots of people were asking what it meant. I gave them the explanation...that five signatures were needed for me to leave IIIT and the first of them is done. So in a way the countdown officially starts (this is for P, who asked me why I was still in IIIT in spite of having an orkut status at adieu IIIT :). Though the excitement of a bright future lies ahead (especially one that I have chosen of my own volition), a lump has already started forming in my throat. I am an excitable person, but not really emotional. Even in matters cryworthy, I usually pass it off through some stupid sense of humour. The worst case being when a cousin of mine was married off and there is this event called Appaginthalu (bidaayi is the Hindi word I guess). All the relatives were blaring away and telling the guy's family that the girl was a sundar susheel kanya and I pass a sidey comment that the guy was a much more susheel guy and ideally his mother must be crying. Man didn't I get a pounding.

The first signature was from the Sports Com. I've been away from sports since my standard 10. For reasons obvious ... i was basically fitness free. A morning jog cannot get you into the school or college cricket team, and skill is developed over time. Of course I had my own share of gully cricket matches and 15 minutes fames on the cricket pitches and football grounds. Sports and IIIT would always remind me of the intense cricket matches especially in the first year with legends like Surya and Joon (of my batch), the needle rivalry between our cricket team and that of our seniors, our basky team and that of our super seniors, and the brilliant carrom matches played by the members of my house. The most funniest memory of course was when a second (or even third) string ug2k2 team (of which I was a part, and I hit a boundary) beat the first team of MSIT in the summer of 2004. They really did not know what hit them.

The biggest gain from IIIT Sports has been the excellent gym and the steady supply of TT bats. TT was one game I could pick up thanx to a whole set of people from Sayan and Akshay (who taught me this wonderful game), to rama, tejo, aravind and kranthi (fellow newbies and practice partners). I plan to continue to learn the game as we have a national level player in XLRI.

The Sports people also taught me something more. Given the right faculty backing, even at a chronically lazy place like IIIT the right things can be done. Today many people in the city know that we have a decent volleyball and football teams and a colorful basky team. A large part of the credit should go to Dr Pradeep. And of course to the many Sports Committee members over the years. It is really unfortunate that the Cultural scene could not be similarly made exciting. It is however glad to see the summer classes and other efforts being made to improve the situation.

I do hope one day we have enough infrastructure in place that the various IIIT teams would be a force to reckon with. I promise to cheer them on, if they happen to play in whichever city I might live in. Till then keep up the sporting spirit. As with life ... the game must go on.

2 Comments:

Anonymous abbulu the running man said...

No way ravi, the IIIT gym is found wanting in many things :(

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ravi said...

@abbulu

excellent by my standards :D

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home